Introduction to backlinks
This article expends on how backlinks can help in your SEO strategy.
You will learn about :
- What is a backlink ?
- Why is a backlink important for my website ?
- How to get backlinks ?
- Importance of quality backlinks ?
You’ve built your website, and now you are waiting for the long awaited traffic.
Why am I not on the first page of Google already ? My content is so valuable and specific, it could help so many people.
Your website is not backed by anyone, how does Google knows if it is as valuable as you tell ?
Well one part of the answer is through backlinks.
You’ll learn that once your site is online, the effort to be on first page of search results is only beginning.
But hopefully, there is a lot of information out there to guide you and here is our introduction into mastering your backlinks strategy for SEO.
What is a backlink ?
It is a link coming from another website to a specific page of your site.
Why is a backlink important for my website ?
Having good quality backlinks coming to your site will affect positively your ranking and push you up in the search results.
It serves as a way of recognition that your website is being valued by others who already have some kind of authority.
See it as if other websites are confirming to search engines that your site is highly relevant.
The more you have the better !
How to get backlinks ?
It takes some work, but the effort put into this can be very rewarding for your SEO website ranking.
Here are a short list of ways we found that works to acquire backlinks to your website :
- Write article on other bloggers or news site linking back to your site.
- Find popular topics, write better content and reach out to high authority site to have them link to your new piece of art.
- Find out outdated links of other sites that no longer works and that are related to your content. Reach out to the owner of that link to replace the no longer working link to your link instead.
- Forums about your niche is filled with people of same interests, don’t hesitate to talk about your content and drop a link that can help them. Don’t spam, or you’ll get the inverse effect of good quality.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel, build content in a way that is proven to work. Study proper layout and what is most likely to work. Look into writing lists posts, how-to’s, infographics, but most of all, your content has to bring value. You will get attention through shares and links to your sites.
- Writing guides seems to be performing well in getting backlinks. Long-format content that describe a topic very well is definitely a great way to gain new links.
- A lot of sites have ressources pages which contains a links to many sites. Find one that is relevant to your niche, contact the owner and kindly ask to add your link. He’ll do it if that can bring value to his ressource page.
Importance of quality backlinks
High-quality backlinks are good because they are showing that other high authority website trust the value of your content by putting a link to it. This is really meaningful for Search Engines in order to rank higher in search results.
- Another term for backlinks is ‘Inbound links’ or ‘Incoming links’.